Saturday, May 25, 2013

My Personal Learning Network...Baby Steps

Angela Maier's blog talks about what people can do when they feel as though they are drowning in social media. And to a certain extent, during this CE5160 course, I felt like I was drowning at times. It was tough to keep up with my readings, my assignments, my blog entries, reading classmates' blogs, commenting, and trying to build a personal learning network at a moment in my career where I am making a transition from the classroom to the front office.

But as I consider the Personal Learning Network I tried to establish,  I will follow Maier's suggestions:

  • Find your friends. There are literally hundreds of millions of people occupying this space.  The key to your success is finding people most relevant to you. Go slow, chose these friends and fans wisely as they will become your most important asset in this new world.
  • Chose three (3) tools that maximize your productivity and ensure you are getting what you need from the network.There are hundreds of tools, but when building your base, less is often more.
  • Finally, commit to three (3) actions; steps that you will repeat and sustain every day until they become action-based habits.

  • Go slow, and choose wisely. Based on a suggestion from Professor Tufts, I added Connected Principals to my Feedly feed. The benefits of having this site as part of my PLN is the diverse group of contributing principals. In their own words: This blog is the shared thoughts of school administrators that want to share best practices in education. All of the authors have different experiences in education but all have the same goal; what is best for students.

    And as I step into my new role as principal, I've also considered how living and working in the Global Education City has isolated me, somewhat, from Korean culture and the language. It is the point of the GEC to give students an English-only environment, but I feel that I'm missing out on Korean life and culture.

    I realize that I acquired more Spanish speaking skills in the first two years I lived in south Texas than I have acquired Korean language skills in the two years I've been here. I think that as a principal, it's important that I learn to better communicate with parents and not just rely on the office staff to translate. And so I've also added two sites to my PLN that relate to Korean language and culture.

    To help me learn Korean (in baby steps), I'm going to rely on Talk to Me in Korean, a blog recommended by some colleagues, and one that I've just discovered in the past couple of weeks.
    And to better relate to the students, I've found Eat Your Kimchi, which should help me better navigate the world of KPop, especially since the Grade 4 and 5 students are so consumed with these groups.

    Here's a sample from Eat Your Kimchi, just so that you can see that I can get a quick idea of what is going on with one of the groups the students follow...


    And as for blogging, I think after this course, I'm going to make some changes to this blog (or just start another) that will focus on my role as a principal as I try to navigate between two cultures. There is a good book, Confucius Meets Piaget, by Jonathan Borden, and even a blog associated with it (although not really updated, and so not very helpful for an on-going PLN) my colleagues and I will be discussing at the new teacher orientation at the beginning of August. I think, perhaps, that this will be a new starting point for me. Perhaps I will call my blog Prugh Meets Confucius and Piaget?

    2 comments:

    1. Sounds like you have figured out what will work for you. Yes, there is just too much out there and never enough time. One suggestion to keep in contact with parents might be a weekly or bi-weekly podcast that you will post to your schools website page? Even a blog as the principal of the school showcasing what is happening and what is going well around the school that parents could subscribe to. It is great to have the ability to connect with parents and allow them to see what amazing things you do with their children each day. They then feel more ownership and the kids know they have that authentic audience to impress. You will be great and I am glad you like that principals blog. It is great. Glad this class is helping in your transition and I do like your idea of immersing yourself back into the culture. Maybe my school and your school can work together next year on a globally collaborative project. I would love that very much. Culture would be our focus as wel embarked on the unknown!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I agree with you about drowning but its perhaps the one thing I needed to do in order to save my life. I spent so many hours trying to catch up in fact I had to take days off work. That sounds pretty dramatic but I think this class saved my career. It gave me confidence and introduced me to people like you!

      Something I admire about you is that you know how important it is to connect with your students by meeting them "where" they are. You are working to learn about their culture, families, and interests. As their principal you will spend your time differently than a teacher and your role will be different but the relationship built will be so very important.

      You will do great!

      ReplyDelete