Friday, April 5, 2013

Reflections on New Learners of the 21st Century

After viewing New Learners of the 21st Century, I spent several days reflecting on a few things mentioned in the video (and some things that were not mentioned, but I felt related in some ways).

Initial thoughts....

Very early into the program (about 2 minutes into it, actually), I found myself stopping the video after Henry Jenkins, a media scholar at the University of Southern California asked people to consider the meaning of addiction. He posited that we (as a culture) find it commendable for a child to be so interested in reading that he or she stays up late into the night reading a book, but if a child spends many hours playing a video game, we are critical and consider the child's obsession to be addictive.

It made me think about my own bias, and how my personal experiences have formed that bias. I'll share an example of two different, intelligent students, both of whom, based on his views, were interested in their respective media (literature and computer games).

The first example, a female student from Rio Grande City, Texas, whom I taught at Ringgold Middle School, was so enamored with reading that she frequently would hide in a colleague's classroom during the weekly pep rallies in the gymnasium, buried her head in a book a lunch and recess, and usually ignored her other teachers in favor of reading a book in the back of her classroom. Most of her teachers were annoyed by her obsessive reading, but she maintained a straight A average in her classes (except PE).

She told me she read to escape the monotony of the lessons in other teachers' classes, the monotony of life in South Texas, and the tediousness of poverty. She read voraciously because she wanted to learn more about the world, and I thought about her almost immediately after Jenkins spoke in the video. She has since graduated and was accepted on a full scholarship to Brown University, and she will be the first in her family to earn a college degree.

The second example, a male student from Seoul, South Korea, whom I worked with last year while covering my boarding school responsibilities, was so enamored with StarCraft that he spent hours a day hiding in empty classrooms, playing through lunch and breaks, and staying up through the night (when his laptop was not confiscated) to play. Most of his teachers were annoyed by his obsessive playing, and he maintained a straight F average in his classes (except Art).

He told me he played to escape the monotony of the lessons, the monotony of life in South Korea, and the tediousness of wealth (his parents had started him in boarding school life at age 8, and he rarely saw his mother or father except on major holidays). He played voraciously because he wanted to improve his ranking in the game. He has since left KIS because he was unable to maintain the minimum grade point average.

So when Jenkins spoke, I realized how strongly I held this cultural bias, and perhaps I needed to rethink some of my own prejudices if I want to effectively prepare my students to be new learners.

Other thoughts....

I really like what Nicole Pinkard, founder of the Digital Youth Network, was doing with the older students in the program. Using high school seniors as teachers is similar to a program I helped to develop at the Korea International School, Jeju. At KIS, middle and high school students in the SLAM (Students Leading And Mentoring) program collaborate in their advisory groups in order to create lessons to teach the elementary students about concepts like leadership, fair play, and teamwork. I was pleased to see students, like a high school senior, teaching middle school students.

And finally....

As a History major, I was troubled to hear, in Diana Laufenberg's History class at the Science Leadership Academy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the discussion she was having with a student working on her "What If?" project. They were talking about the Spanish not wanting to sell the Louisiana Territory to the US, and the impact this might have created for the development of the fledgling United States.

WOW! History certainly would have been quite different if the lands were Spanish "possessions" (quotes are used because these European powers did not have title to the lands owned by the Native American nations living in these areas), but, in fact, it was Napoleon Bonaparte of FRANCE who made a strategic choice to "sell" this territory. And with Napoleon focused on Europe (and military campaigns financed, in part, by the sale of these lands), world history was dramatically changed. At this point, I had to stop the video too because I was upset with the teacher, Diana.

To some people, perhaps, it might not seem like such a BIG deal to make a mistake over "ownership," but I hope in some course of the research, this student (or the teacher) discovered this HUGE mistake; otherwise, the students in this class will learn erroneous historical information from a peer. I'll likely rant about the dissemination of wrong information online in another blog posting and refer back to this example. But this example, in the very least, is a case of a facilitator (the teacher) needing at least a minimum foundation of knowledge to teach this subject, and of a potential downside of peer to peer teaching.

I think, though, I'm going to continue to think about this PBS video, and consider how teachers as facilitators of knowledge and learning fit into the new learning paradigm of the 21st century. And that, I suppose, is the point of this part of the Week 4 lesson: to make me think!


4 comments:

  1. As a parent, the amount of time spent on computer games, social network sites (my boys aren't into those yet but may someday) and the internet in general is a huge concern for me. Right now, I am having a hard time changing my thought processes from games are a form of entertainment to games are a learning tool or that social networking and texting are learning tools. I think this is an obstacle a lot of parents and educators have.



    ReplyDelete
  2. You have definitely made me think too Byron! Thank you. While the two examples you provide are just that, two examples, they absolutely feed the bias. Admittedly I feed into the bias as well and for whatever reason find it more noble to spend hours and hours reading versus playing games on electronics. But I hate biases and am now forced to confront this one. Doesn't it matter what the person is reading or what is the person playing? Is it possible to take children's addictions and turn them in to something positive? How could your school have tapped into the student's addiction with StarCraft and used it to engage him in activities to meet the educational standards he was required to achieve? Do you think he would have succeeded in the NY, NY school for digital kids? Would it be possible to accommodate students in all schools in this way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I didn't catch the error made by the instructor I did see one instructor tell the student that she needed more background information in order to provide suggestions and feedback. I liked seeing that modeled because it places the student in the role of teacher and ultimately adds to the collective expertise.

    I too have concerns with letting student's have so much freedom with choice that ultimately I can't keep up with the multitude of projects or direction of their work. My solution has been to create tight guidelines, checklists, and due dates for the early phases of the work. By collecting work and looking it over I've been able to offer feedback and provide solutions to students who may be "stuck". It also gives me an opportunity to ensure that students are focused on the content and not the final product. Additionally, it offers a break from the current tasks and allows me an opportunity to do mini lessons on the next portion of the work. This process was particularly successful in a recent website project they created to spotlight the Presidential Cabinet. I used a class period to reinforce the concept of evaluating websites for reliability and showed them how to reference it in Easy Bib.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I think, though, I'm going to continue to think about this PBS video, and consider how teachers as facilitators of knowledge and learning fit into the new learning paradigm of the 21st century. And that, I suppose, is the point of this part of the Week 4 lesson: to make me think!
    " Yes, the purpose is to get you thinking and reflecting on how you can either keep doing what you are doing or make some changes to what is going on in the classroom. Thank you so much for the history lesson, as I too did not notice the error in the "ownership" portion of the video. It is amazing how people think they know what they know, but sometimes we are just plain wrong! I am certainly no expert in history, but it would be very important for the teacher to be that expert for the kids. I think that also lends itself well to research and how what we find on the internet is not always true, not even close at times, but the kids do not know that at all. I as an adult do not always know what might be credible information, as trained as I am! Thanks for the reflective thoughts and getting me to think as well!

    ReplyDelete